Thursday, April 25, 2013

Boomer Lit Friday – April 26


This will be my last Boomer Lit Friday excerpt for a while. I'm concentrating on finishing the second book in this series and an exciting new project that I'm going to reveal soon. But for now, this week's excerpt is from THE PRINCE CHARMING HOAX, the story of best friends Leah Gold and Roxanne Stein, two boomer women trying to break free of the “happily ever after” fairy tale myth of their childhoods.

We're joining Leah and Roxie mid-conversation in Chapter 6.

Roxie paused, like she was deciding what to say next. “Look, I have to say this,” she finally blurted out. “I’m sorry you have a broken heart. But I am happy you’re not moving, and I’m especially happy that’s over between you and 3D.”

“Please don’t start. I’ve been trying to avoid thinking about him at all.”

Roxie squinted her eyes. “Let me just say this about Douglas D. Dowling. A man who cheats on his wife with you is going to cheat on you with someone else one day. He probably already has.”

“Rox, we’ve been through this before. He didn’t do that to me.”

“Oh really? And what do you think he did on those long trips to Paris, London, and Athens?”

“It’s different. Doug loves me.”

“Love, schmuv, Leah. Men were given two working body parts—a brain and a dick. Unfortunately, they can’t use both at the same time.”

“Roxie, you don’t understand. Doug’s not like that.”

“Leah, you read too many romance novels. It just so happens, all men are like that—go ahead and ask one. They don’t even think there’s anything wrong with that scenario.”

Leah stared at her friend. Was there a grain of truth in Roxie’s crude words? She shook her head. “Look, I can’t think about this now.”


Once again, Leah puts off 'til tomorrow what she doesn't want to think about today. Does she ever wise up? Find out...
Purchase the ebook or paperback at

Read more Boomer Lit snippets here.

10 comments:

  1. I like Leah, and completely identify with her choice to put off what she doesn't want to face right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. I suppose we all have a bit of Scarlett O'Hara in us ;-)

      Delete
  2. Shelley
    Thank you for your excellent efforts in making this boomer tour hop along. And your writing is good, too.
    John Klawitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe. Leah's kidding herself. It's been fun reading these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elyse, I really enjoyed this excerpt. The dialogue is so natural, and the dilemma is very real.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Noelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle. I'm glad you enjoyed and I'm so pleased that the writing/situaion flowed well for you. Thanks for "hopping" by!

      Delete
  5. Will Leah ever learn? I guess I'll have to get the book to find out.

    Thanks, Shelley for setting up the blog hop. It has been fun.

    ReplyDelete